Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Painted Floors

Janet from The Gardeners Cottage tagged me with a challenge to show the 6th photo I posted on my blog. Janet has been very supportive of my blog, my home improvements and of my personal challenge to see how long I can not eat meat so, maybe I'm high on tofu, but I'm happy to oblige.


The above photo was the first in a group of photos I was gathering as I was first talking to my architects and I was wondering what kind of kitchen would be appropriate for an historical house. I think I've gotten over needing to be so literally historical but I'm still in love with the idea of painted floors in the kitchen and perhaps in other rooms around the house. I continue to collect inspiration photos of painted floors so I'd thought I share a few more from the ones I've collected.
There's something about the combination of a painted design combined with the texture of individual floor boards that I find really attractive.

I've really been in love with yellow and white since I saw the floors in the studio of La Maison LaFourtune. I think this color combination automatically says vintage.

I also like this yellow and white take on macro gingham.

This black and taupe floor is a little dizzying but it shows that painted floors can also be elegant.

This stenciled yellow and white floor is fun. I think a twelve-inch border of white would make me love this.

I also love when part of a wood floor is left natural. It could really cleverly disguise a wood floor that's damaged in a few places. I am really intrigued by the design that left natural inside the larger areas of white paint. I wish I could see it better.
(Update: I found this shot in Flickr but I found the blog and more shots of this great floor here.)

Sometimes just a simple white painted floor is all it takes to be perfect. This is a Jonathan Adler design.

This room is way too much for me but I do love the floor. It's like s strappy quilt that has random pieces ordered by a perfect grid. This idea could be executed in a million different ways.

And I've saved my favorite few photos for a big finish. This Nancy Boszhardt interior uses stain to create a "rug" on the floor. I love this idea. And the hat rack it pretty darn cool too.

These last two photos are just beautiful rooms that just happen to have painted floors. It just goes to show that sometimes simpler is better.
This perfectly serene bedroom with misty blue-green walls and glistening ivory floors makes me want to revisit my guest bedroom. I've been thinking of glazing over the black and white wallpaper (can that be done?) and could I bring myself to paint the refinished floors?
Credits: 1. Soutern Living 2. Cottage Living 3. Southern Living 4. Cottage Living 5. Joel Woodard 6+7. via Flickr 8. House Beautiful 9. Elle Decor 10. Nancy Boszhardt 11. via Brabourne Farm (hi, Leigh!) 12. Country Living

9 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I swear I don't know who comes up with these things! But thank you for being so kind and participating. I, too love painted floors. Our old house had painted white floors. I truly loved them when they were clean. They were really hard to keep clean though. My husband insisted the floors here be stained. And I'm grateful b/c these are a breeze to maintain.

    Anyways, thanks again. Now go eat some more tofu!

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! You have some great inspiration photoes! First thing I would do given the chance is to paint a checkerboard on my kitchen floor! I like black and that vintage green color with a dark stain. I think you should dive in and do it!
    When you take a break from renovatoin you could be in charge of making up a new blogging game! :)
    Really? You're not eating meat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve . . .

    Once again, you've proved what a wonderful eye you have. Really enjoyed looking at these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that stenciled floor. I wish I had a room or something to do that treatment on. I wonder if it would work on the decking/entry of my studio? Something to think about! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve
    Any idea where the picture with the anthropologie looking floor and settee comes from? That settee has the same type of carved detail in the middle of the back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to tell you that I've been enjoying reading through your blog. We used to live in a historic 1940's Greek Revival style home in NJ. We did a lot to it, but it still had it's original wide pumpkin pine floors and giant fireplaces. Oh, and two staircases. One that was winding at the top and the other were pie stairs. I'll have to post a picture of it on my blog one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve,
    I agree with you - there is something so neat and unexpected about painted floors - I love them! I actually have an upcoming project that involves painted floors - but I never thought of doing some kind of pattern. I love that yellow and cream floral floor!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the photos you posted. thanks for visiting my blog and the lovely comments left. have a great weekend! verbena cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm a new reader and wanted to drop in and say hi. Great post. I love creative takes on wood floors -- particularly that beautifully stained "rug" in the Nancy Boszhardt entryway. Gorgeous. I'm restoring an old house too, and I've been trying to think of how/where I will do something like this. Some people say it ruins the value, but so many old houses have this that it seems more authentic than shiny refinished wood everywhere.

    ReplyDelete